Monday, May 6, 2013

DIY horse bit necklace

Sometimes ideas hit you at the right moment.  And Saturday morning was no exception.

A few months ago, a good gal pal handed me down some clothing she was just tired of wearing.  Included in the set were some dark wash jeans with gold, horse bit-type buckle detailing on the front and back pockets (a la gucci).


So when the jeans didn't fit quite right, I decided to take off the buckles and save them for something -- what, I did not know just yet, but something.

Alas, my uncle invited me to join him and his friends at their amazing plot for the Gold Cup horse races in Virginia this past weekend, and I knew those buckles could be used for something.

The initial idea was to use two buckles and create a bracelet, but it proved to be a bigger challenge and time was running out (i.e. I was getting picked up in twenty minutes).  So I took an old F21 necklace that I never seemed to wear, opened the jump rings to remove the faux tortoise shell medallions, slipped on one of the horse bit buckles.  And what do you know...


A one-of-a-kind necklace was the perfect accessory for a horse race event!



We had so much fun!




1 comment:

  1. I think I look fat. we need to not be in pictures together

    ReplyDelete