Friday, January 11, 2013

Vegan Dinner (almost) and a bit of a food rant...

I know, I know...vegan is a pretty definite thing, so there really isn't such a thing as "almost" vegan, but this meal really is almost vegan.

I made this a few nights ago when I a) had some time to kill and b) wanted to make something where there would be leftovers for lunch the rest of the week.

Aside: I made a friend some lentil stew this week because he was sick, which means I am now going on three weeks in a row of lentil soup in the house and for work.  Needless to say, I am a bit tired of it, but seeing as there is still some in the 'frige, I suppose I am not yet done with it.  

So, let's start with the rant (of course!!)...

Generally speaking, I don't eat a lot of junk food, although I could definitely be better (can't we all?).
But still, every day I become more and more aware of and concerned about what I eat and put into my body.  I can't even count the number of food documentaries I've watched and I am literally quite sick of being told things are food when they are in fact not food, but some conglomeration of additives, preservatives, and pink slime.  Is what I am saying something revolutionary?  For the vegan and vegetarian hippies of the '90s, it was; but now there are many spokespeople for the cause, and I am but a tiny voice, but I am a believer.

Another aside: There is an argument here against me, as I have smoked for several years, but I will save that for another post, because that will be another rant and a blog post isn't supposed to be a doctoral thesis.

No, I am not trying to be a food snob, because I do love food, but there are clear indications that the food we eat is affecting our population on the whole -- through disease, obesity and mental health.  At the recommendation of Uncle Pete over Christmas, I am now reading The Happiness Diet by Tyler Graham and Drew Ramsey.  I am also more interested in eating fresh produce or simply raw foods, after watching Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead over the break as well (juice diet, here I come!)  Truthfully both are worth reading and watching yourself.  You don't have to be totally crazy and do a 60 day juice cleanse -- just implementing small changes makes a difference.  Heck, I even got my parents to buy organic milk among other new diet choices.

Annnnyway, after spending many days inundating myself with information on how what we eat is actually horrible for us, I decided I would at least try some vegan products.  Not that I had never had them before, but that I would try to incorporate them into my own cooking and food ordering habits.  Thus, this meal was: Orange Sesame Baked Tofu with a baked Brussel Sprouts and Radish salad side.  And it was yummy!

Gather up the ingredients!



The main squeeze was the tofu.  I've eaten tofu many times before, but I've never cooked it, so what better time than the present!


I pressed it with my hands only for about a minute, and then just got to work on the marinade.  Too much to do in one night to worry about pressing it dry...


I decided to slice half of it into larger pieces, like below, and then the rest I cut those larger slices into thirds.


For the marinade, I used this recipe as a guide, but I halved the amount of sugar and sesame seed oil (highly recommended), used ground ginger (the spice, not fresh, as that was all I had), used clementines not oranges (again, what I had on hand) and I baked it, instead of grilling.

Make that marinade in a bowl and poured it over the tofu in a baked sheet lined with foil.


While that was in the 'fridge gettin' good, I went to start on the side, and got momentarily distracted by how pretty radishes are.  See!!


Anyway, I used this recipe, but instead of pecans I used walnuts (Can you guess why?  Cause I had them on already!!) and I used somewhere in between 1/8 c. and 1/4 c. parmesan cheese (this is the only thing not vegan!!  I just used the store bought, grated kind that is not fancy at all).  I don't normally skimp on cheese, but trust me, if you're using the green shaker kind, less is just fine.


Chop up those veggies!  Two to one ratio of b. sprouts to radishes.


Quick sauté with butter and EVOO (thanks, Rachel Ray for the lingo).


Add nuts, salt and parm.  Coat the veggies and place on a baking sheet lined with foil (I would do that even if the recipe didn't say it -- hello, easy clean up.  And my kitchen is TINY!)


Before being baked...


In the oven...


 Right out of the oven.  Um, hello, delicious.  And it really was.


Everything plated.  I need to start using my C. Wonder dishes, even when I cook just for myself.  So unlike me to not use them.

The tofu turned out pretty good.  I added salt and pepper, and would definitely eat it again, although I'm interested in trying other marinades.  But the brussels and radish side dish?  Whew, I will definitely be making it again.  It was very tasty.


Since Dixie isn't allowed at the table (even on the floor at feet), she just watched from the couch.  I also have pink tulips all over the apartment.  They are my favorite flower, in a beautiful color and add a touch of spring in January.  What's not to like about that?!

This night was overall super productive too, which always puts me in a good mood.  Apartment update coming up next!

Tah tah, for now...



No comments:

Post a Comment