Monday, January 14, 2013

Let the Official Training Begin!

As I've mentioned before, "Sweat" is one of my resolutions this year. 

And for me, it's not about losing weight; it's about feeling fit.  I got very close last year, but around the end of July, life took a turn and I stopped making exercise a priority (which in retrospect is so silly -- what a great way to help cope with big changes -- humph).

Anyway, this year I want to do something big.  Well bigger than I've done before, which makes it big. 

So today marks the official first day of training for the Rock and Roll Half-Marathon on Saturday, March 16th!  I am so, so nervous and so. freaking. excited. too.  I don't think I've ever run more than 4 miles (outside of a soccer game, which doesn't really count), and I just ran those last week!

But as someone that publicly admits to not loving running, there are a few things I do to either help ensure I actually go running or just to make it not as bad as I think it will be.

1) Just put on workout clothes, even if you don't plan to leave for an hour.  If it's on, you'll go.  If it's not, you'll come up with 101 reasons to go tomorrow or the next day.  Or at least I would/do...

During the colder months it can be especially difficult to motivate yourself to hit the pavement.  But here's what I typically wear when running outside in the winter.



Aside: I seriously love these Under Armour pants and am dying to get another pair (I only have the one and wear them to death!!)

2) I incentivize myself with chewing gum.  A small, but simple pleasure.  Sometimes I cave and have gum otherwise, but really I try to only chew gum when I'm running.  I suppose this trick wouldn't work for those who think chewing gum is gross, but for me...it works just fine.

I am currently chewing Juicy Fruit while running, as this was the gum in my stocking from Santa!

3) I use the Map My Run application on my i-phone when I run to track my time and distances.  Most of the time I like that it tells me how far I have run so that I don't check my phone every minute only to find nearly no distance has passed.  It simply lowers the volume on my Pandora radio station (usually Lil' Wayne or some seriously girly stuff) and gives you your total time, total distance and then pace per mile.  So great!  Plus, it maps where you've run so if you run somewhere and find that you really like that course, it's easy to run again!




4) Interval running to music really helps to push me and keeps me focused.  Since I love competitive sports, it is hard for me to stay super motivated during runs that seem to be the same thing step after step.  I'm used to chasing after people or things!  So to spice up a run, I try to pick up the pace during the chorus of a song.  It is just enough of a change to keep things interesting for me.

5) Finishing strong is another thing I try to do to keep it interesting.  Obviously you are the most tired at the end, but a two block sprint to my front door usually makes me all the more excited to be home and glad I pushed it!

6) The last one is a bit cheesy, but I really do refer to one motivational phrase all the time:

One more thing...As part of the half-marathon training, I will be doing longer runs on Saturdays with friends.  I didn't list this above since I have not run with others before, so I don't know if it will work for me, but fingers crossed!

Still nervous...eek!  But, logging some miles tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment