Thursday, October 18, 2012

Money Matters (The Start of a New Era - Office Food Staples)

As I've mentioned, I grew up in a house where saving money was not only important, it was the rule.  Half of anything my sisters or I made went straight into savings.  Period.

And while most people I know are good with money, I started to fall off the whole "savings bandwagon" a few years ago.  I've never spent more than I had, always paying off my credit cards in full, but just living more and more paycheck to paycheck.  And recently I've been more stressed about money than usual. 

Over the last few years, I had many major life changes occur and I'm starting to realize I've dealt with these things by being careless with money.  I've always been frugal, and thankfully that hasn't changed, but it's more that I am unable to say no.  "Oh, let's stay for another drink (or three)?"  My response: "Sure!!";  "How amazing are these shoes?"  My response: "Holy lord, amazing.  I'm buying them.";  "Want to go on a week long vacation to somewhere fabulous and we'll have the best time?"  My response: "Just clicked purchase on the plane ticket."

It's all good stuff, nothing ever bad, it's just that I need to learn I can't do it all.

So that's what begins now.  A true savings plan, where each month a set amount of money (at least) goes into savings.  I want to buy a house one day that I can fix up and not then turn the keys over to the owner eight months later.  I want to know I'll be financially sound in case of an emergency.  I want to learn what stocks and bonds are and how the heck I actually invest in them.

These posts may not be as glammy and fun as the others on this blog, but there is something really cool about having money issues under control.  Seriously.  I used to be proud of the fact that I was good with money.  Letting those values slip away has not only been driving me nuts, but it's been a source of stress for too long.  Enough.

It may be hard for me to initially divulge personal financial information on the interwebs, but who knows over time.  But to start, I'll chat on things I've done to save money in the last few weeks.

First off all, I've been bringing a lunch to work.  It's the first thing so many money advice columns, blogs, etc. tell you to do, and let me tell you...they are right.  It's amazing.  It does take some thought.  And it definitely isn't as exciting as the multitude of offerings at the dozen or so lunch spots near the office, BUT, it is what it is.  I'd rather spend my money on dinners out with friends or a trip somewhere awesome, so...I bring a lunch.

Here's a great article about just sucking it up and bringing a lunch.  Honestly, it may have been what pushed me over the edge to just do it.  Cause it's true.

Currently in the mini-fridge at work are two apples and three greek yogurts -- whichever ones are on sale, and a loaf of bread.



It so happens to be mango Chobani this week.


Almost always Gala apples.  Love them.

I also keep a large package of string cheese and some microwave popcorn, generic brands for both.  That usually settles my cravings for something delicious from down the street, but may not be filling necessarily.

Enter peanut butter.  Again, I get whatever kind is on sale.  Crunchy, smooth, doesn't matter.  I like them all.  I also keep some strawberry jelly around, so in a pinch, I can make a PB&J and be fully full, albeit thirsty.

These are the office staples.  Otherwise, I bring in leftovers from a dinner I made that week.  I am really trying to only buy lunch once a week at most, and that's only if I have to.  It just takes 30 minutes to go to the grocery store once a week and get the things you need. 

Batta Boom!

No comments:

Post a Comment