Tuesday, January 29, 2013

A Running Update (for Margot)

I have just under 7 weeks remaining until the 13.1 and I am getting more and more excited each week.  Especially since I officially registered last week!!


As I've mentioned before, I was very publicly a non-lover of running.  That's probably an understatement, actually.  I always just thought it was boring and painful and I would have much rather played any other sport than run.  I was often found asking friends who ran for exercise, fun or for sport why they ran, or even how.  I just simply did not understand it.

"So let me get this right, you just run for HOURS?!"
"Yeah."
"You're tired and breathing heavy after running for 15 minutes and you just keep running for HOURS?!"
"Yeah."

It's like we were speaking different languages.

But now that I am actually doing this training thing, it really is just like what everyone says.  You just keep running.  And it feels incredible at the end.

The shorter runs are fine, although they can be somewhat tedious.  After the excitement of longer runs, shorter ones seem to be a little "blah," but knowing that I will be able to run farther (further?) because of them, helps keep me motivated.

Here are a few more tips I've tried over the last two weeks.
1) I have a calendar pinned to my desk at work where each day lists the numbers of miles I've run.

Not only does this literally put it in my face, but since my bosses know I am running this race, they ask me about it.

2) I have literally put up index cards with sayings all over my apartment.
"You should be running RIGHT NOW" is next to my alarm clock -- this hasn't worked too well yet, but I still am glad it's there.
"Courage to start.  Strength to Finish." is on my entry way table so I remember to finish well.
Is this cheesy?  Yes.  But I don't care...whatever it takes to finish.


3) Tell everyone what you are doing.
I suppose this is sort of tied into #1 -- public displays of activity -- but really.  The more people that know you are running, the more you feel responsible to keep it up.  In fact, posting about it here helps to keep me focused and on schedule.


I have yet to do a longer run with friends, but it has actually worked out alright.  Most important thing is to just get dressed and go run.  Period.

See the miles logged on Sunday, January 27th?  6.5 miles.  Half way there!!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 7.0 done in Central Park this past weekend! Woo!
      Thanks for all the encouragement!

      Delete