Monday, May 13, 2013

Pops

Today marks a new decade for dear, old Dad.

I am very lucky to have a dad like mine.  We get to be parent and daughter,  but also good pals that can talk about virtually anything.  During the rough months of this last year, Dad always made time to meet up with me to talk, or to calm me down over the phone or help me think through all the wild, crazy things running through my head.

But it's actually not all serious stuff -- it's mostly fun!!

We travel and go sailing together.


Last year he taught me to play golf.



He was my finish-line supporter for the 13.1, braving the cold morning, waiting in the car for hours for me to finish (and I am now seriously kicking myself for not getting a picture with him at the race.  ?!?!?)

He's very generous with his time (now that he has some!) and his tools.  He is most certainly the son of a surgeon, as Dad likes things to be precise and clean.  You know the saying "measure twice, cut once" but how most people just ignore that?  Yeah.  He doesn't.


But the man knows how to get down.  There is no better wedding date than my Dad.  He's the best swing dancer I know, and luckily I get to dance with him while Mami is off giving lessons to those not yet able to "One...two...quick step.  One.. two..."  But the best part is when the single-leg jig comes out.


Legit, my friends email this picture around when we are getting amped for an upcoming wedding.  Great stuff.

And the guy cleans up nice too.  Black-tie Christmas Eve means after dinner Christmas Carols in my Grandparents' living room. 


But maybe the best part is that he makes me feel like he actually likes me.  As if he really wants to be around me and hear my thoughts and stories.  And share his own, which I love to hear, because I actually like him!

No single blog post could do justice to all that he does or all that he means to me.  I hope and think he knows based on how great our every day relationship is -- because it's awesome.  I love him and love hanging out with him and love that he's my Dad.

Happy Birthday, Pops!

 

1 comment: